Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Nuevo places, not on your radar


There are places in Corpus you dare not go. They are dirty and scary and are developing slow. But if you seek the places rarely known, you might just realize how much Corpus Christi has grown.
My mom and I decided to check out this hip cafe that we have been hearing so much about, only problem is its not exactly in the best part of town. Like I said though, no good explorer shies away from possibility! We arrived at the Nuevo Cafe at around 12:30 and it was definitely hoppin'. The building inside has a sort of metal storage place feeling. Very Austin Texas. Soft music floods my senses as I look around and realize they have large metal stars hanging from the ceiling and Elvis memorabilia over a lot of the walls. I notice paintings hanging on the back wall all painted by independent artists around Corpus and a yummy dessert counter to my right. Despite the crowd we were seated right away, and our drinks came out equally as quick. We were told the poblano Soup was the bees knees, so needless to say we ordered it along with their most popular sandwich, the nuevo club. We got seated way in the back and it had to have been negative degrees back there because neither I nor my momma wanted to remove our coats! But the soup came out speedy and good thing it was hot hot hot! First taste... spicy prickles roll down my throat. Delicious! But as I continue eating I realize the spice is becoming a bit unbearable and causing me to drink my water like a camel which is leading me to FREEZE!! Then my sandwich came and to my surprise it was the two tiniest little triangle slices of sandwich my eyes have ever beheld. Needless to say I inhale my food using my soup as more of a dipping sauce rather, which works out splendid. Our meal cost about 20 dollars and we were feeling a bit like our wallets, empty!

Overall I give the Nuevo Cafe a score of 3 cheers. What they lack in food size and flavor they make up for in ultra hipness, and places like this might be just what Corpus needs to give the city some life! Make Corpus Weird!! who's with me?

Don't Take My Word For It!
Nuevo Cafe
1124 Ayers St. (way down by sound vibrations in 6 points)
Corpus Christi, TX, 78404
(361) 904-0425

No comments:

Post a Comment