Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Up to something fishy

I like it raw, I like it hot, spicy, or cold. I like them long, crunchy or so big I cant fit the whole thing in my mouth. But when they are small and plain, they deserve to pay me for putting up with it. Of course I'm talking about eating sushi! Sushi! Sushi! Suuuushi!!
I recently acquired the taste for sushi about 3 years ago, and haven't been able to feed the monster addiction I have for raw fish on rice. So with this constant need for sushi like a vampire to human neck, I have begun the search for the best sushi Corpus has to offer, and this is what I have so far. In order of most delicious
1. Yoshi- they give you complementary miso soup (the legit delicious kind with tofu!) like most great sushi, art takes time. But their rolls are fairly sizable and they are mega generous with their fish portions. Might I even suggest the Corpus Christi roll and the Godzilla roll. Yoshi provides the most wasabi for your wallet, so to speak.
2. Sakura Japanese Steak House- Don't let its size fool you, it may be half the size of its neighboring restaurant La Playa but it deffinately packs twice the flavor. Though usually people stop by for the hibachi cooking, they have quite a large selection of sushi, I tried the sakura special and the Corpus Christi roll and let me tell you there was a party in my mouth, recently acquired sushi lovers best friends Brad and Daniel agree the sushi was delicious.
3. Imperial Cafe- They serve sushi all day, but its at 5 pm when dinner starts that the place gets hoppin'. They have half price sushi on thursdays but they aren't half the fun. Their rolls are a good ten pieces and not skimpy on the fish portions. They also like to use caviar on their rolls which basically tastes like magic beads in your mouth. However if you don't get there right at five the wait is something of a damn shame!
4. Bistro D'Asia- for some time Bistro actually trumped most sushi in my eyes. However they take about 45 minutes to get your sushi and they have a few waiters working there that aren't exactly the most comfortable speaking english, not fun when you have questions.
5. Zen Ultra Sushi Lounge- Wonderful atmosphere, feels almost like being in a big city at some swanky downtown bar. However even their half-price sushi is a bit pricey. Their spirits are top notch and they do have a happy hour, of course you may not be too happy when the check comes.
6. Water Street Oyster Bar- you already know and love it (hopefully!) Great place to eat lunch with the ladies or have a late night romantic dinner. They have half-price sushi Monday through Thursday and although they only have about 8 rolls, each one has a distinct taste. Plus while you are down there you can even take a downtown beach side stroll. Let the lights inspire you, make you feel brand new.
7. Ichibon- OK OK their sushi is pretty weak, I'd say its about a notch above HEB sushi but if you are looking for quantity look no further. For fifteen bucks (I know not exactly wallet friendly) you can have all the seafood you can eat. They even hook it up hibachi style if you want it. Their sushi might be mediocre but their seafood is top notch!
8. Kobe Steak House- As far as sushi goes, pretty much worthless. The service was weak and the sushi chef was the pitts, he actually tried to sway me from ordering more sushi (jerk!) Their rolls have about 5-6 pieces and are way to heavy on the rice and too skimpy on the fish. Not even worth half price, don't waste your time on the sushi is my advice.

I know and hope there are more sushi places out there in Corpus just waiting to be discovered but for now this sushi lover will just have to dream of the perfect roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment