Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Down-Town's Dirty Little Secret






Oh hello! Welcome back, first off let me just say thanks for sticking around! And to those of you just discovering this soon to be (hopefully) glorious guide to Corpus, grab a seat, kick of y'er shoes and stay awhile will you?

My tale begins on another drizzly dark evening. Brad and I had tickets to see Anberlin, Taking Back Sunday and the ever-awesome All-American Rejects!! in concert at one of Corpus Christi's largest music venues Old Concrete Street Amphitheater. For those of you who don't know AAR is one of my top five all time favorite bands, so you can imagine my excitement. Thus with tickets in hand, Brad and I faced the bitter-cold yet again. Down many a dark dreary street we walked, blowing past the bums that lurk in down-town Corpus and squeezing through security... all in the name of fun. Security at Concrete is fairly lax. The guards were friendly despite the drizzle, they assured me they didn't need to pat me down, and even let me take my camera (score!). After getting past the gate, panic settles in. It's raining, there are various out-door stages inside the compound and I begin to fear we will have to stand in the rain. Then immediately to my right Brad points out a more than well covered stage which we scurry to for the show. People pack in, like wet puppies seeking warmth and after a few minutes I begin to realize they have found it. Heat lamps have been placed in various areas around the entrances of the covered stage. Once my fingers defrost, I notice, despite all the people, I'm in no way feeling claustrophobic and there is a fairly well stocked concession stand to my right, and an even larger beverage concession stand to my left. Like most venues, the spirits and the snacks are egregiously over-priced, but that didn't seem to stop the masses.
After Anberlin, T.B.S takes the stage, and oh-my-gosh rock the house! It was during their set I realize a few things...
1. I should not have brought my heavy shoulder bag, which is now keeping me from fully focusing on the rock gods before me.
2. Most of the people around me seem hesitant to raise their rocker fists, but instead are content with letting them hang at their sides or remain hidden in their pockets, giving the impression they, are not into the music and honestly just awkward and
3. Being the loudest fan in the crowd is not always appreciated by other less vocally gifted fans.

For some insight into these realizations I turned to my best friend and long time concert afficionado- Clarissa Benavides. After years of concert crashing she had a few helpful tips.
1. when too afraid to raise your rock hands, simply tapping them on your chest or side to the beat is sufficient. If you are keeping them down because those around you are, move up!! people up-front tend to be more into the music as apposed to the spectators in back.
2. If possible take an over the chest hung purse w/ only the essentials (money, i.d., camera, phone, sharpie) If its too late to turn back, simply wrap a strap around one leg and keep it at your feet or if you are a front row goer ask the bouncer to place it on the other side of the barricade.
3. If you are like me and can use those pipes, then dammit use them!! You came to rock, now pump those fists and yell!! the band will love you more for it even if your neighbor doesn't.

Finally the entire venue, darkens; the crowd begins to chant..."rejects, RE-jects, REJECTS!" Fog, flashing lights, and four familiar faces appear from the mist. The sound is crystal clear, no static, no feed-back, no buzzing. The lights even more electric and spectacular than the sound. As girls and boys alike begin to jump and sway I realize there are no chords running along the ground, no dips, and the stage might even be on the lower end of a hill for once. Yes, short people of the world Concrete Street is the place for you! The night ends not only without injury but with an encore! (suh-weeet)

Overall I give the Old Concrete Street Amphitheater 4 cheers - for sound, security, shelter and parking. However on a regular basis cameras are not permitted and neither is crowd surfing or moshing (lame).

Don't Take My Word For It:
623 Power Street
Corpus Christi, TX 78401
(361)884-8085

p.s when ever the band says your city's name, you better shout loud and proud! Good Night Corpus Christi!!

No comments:

Post a Comment